What is the first thing I should do (what does the process look like) if I’ve been hurt in a car accident?


 Car accidents are extremely upsetting, even terrifying, regardless of the level of injuries whether to the human body or just property damage. It can be difficult at that moment (or a period of time after) to be thinking straight or logically after an accident, and that is completely understandable. However, there are a few things that you should do right after a car accident if you are physically able to do so. Reminding yourself periodically of certain steps will help you if you are hurt in a car accident.

Also, using the convenient link below, you can keep them in your phone, perhaps as a bookmark or a downloaded image or file, or print them out to keep in the glove box as a convenient reference:


Most importantly, even if you believe you are not hurt from an accident, you should seek medical attention to get checked out within a short time after. A concussion, herniation, spinal injury, torn tendon or ligament or other injuries, may not seem like much at the moment, but undiagnosed or untreated injuries that remain discovered over a lapse of time could not only hurt your body further, but also hurt any case you may have or certain rights to coverage for such care.

According to the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, if the accident caused property damage only, you must exchange information about your driver license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers. If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the police.   

If you are involved in any accident where there is damage to the property of one individual (including yourself) that is more than $1,000, you are required to file an accident report  (MV-104) https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv104.pdf .  The report must be filed within 10 days.  The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident. In addition, if a person is injured or killed, you are required by the NY State Vehicle and Traffic Law to immediately notify the police. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death. All the involved drivers and the police must then file the MV-104 Accident Report with the DMV.  

Always get/keep a copy of any report filed by a police officer. Request for the filed MV-104:  https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv198c.pdf